On Thursday 29th April 2021, Filipino LGBT Europe chair Chris Sta Brigida attended Philippine Embassy Community Meeting on behalf of Filipino LGBT Europe foundation.
During the online meeting the New Philippine Ambassador J Eduardo Malaya was introduced to the Filipino Community where he highlighted the importance of Philippine and Netherlands Bilateral Relationship. Amb Malaya addressed the community and shared some of his plans including a renovation of the Philippine Embassy The Hague.
Third Secretary and Consul Marienne Bringas presented the renovation plans to the community. During the renovation the Philippine Embassy will temporarily move to this address: The Statemens, Churchillplein 5, 2517 JW Den Haag
Philippines Independence Day Commemoration was also discussed during the meeting. Suggestions is now being gathered from the Filipino community.
Highlighted points of the meeting are as follows:
- Population of Filipino Nationals in Netherlands is currently around 9K less than 10K;
- Philippine-Netherlands Economic cooperation was highlighted;
- Philippines has awarded $1.73 Billion contract to a Dutch Company in 2021;
- NL companies employs around 10K Filipinos mostly seafearers, plus 5K Filipinos in Dutch Caribbean Islands mostly in hospitality industry;
- More than 37K Dutch nationals visits Philippines yearly (pre-covid);
- Further Trade and investments plans with the Netherlands;
- Political significance of Netherlands was also highlighted – Netherlands as the Legal Capital of the World;
- Netherlands is an important diplomatic location as it host major legal institutions: International Criminal Court, International Court of Justice, International Criminal Tribunal for Former Yugoslavia, Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, Hague Conference on Private International Law, etc;
- PH-NL Bilateral Consultation meeting is ongoing also to mark the 70th Anniversary of the establishment of Philippine-Netherlands diplomatic relations;
- Philippine Embassy will have renovation / upgrade from mid-May 2021 and expects to finish by the end of 2021;
- By 2022 there will be a new Philippine Embassy, which would be modern and spacious, this will include a community hall with capacity up to 100 pax;
- Temporary Philippine Embassy Address will be at The Statemans, Churchillplein 5, 2517 JW Den Haag (Note: Please kindly wait for Official Philippine Embassy Statement);
- Philippine Independence Day Commemoration was discussed, main idea is to have a community commemoration day spearheaded by the Philippine Embassy;
- Suggestions on commemoration celebration day are now being gathered from various Filipino community.
Note: Photo courtesy of Philippine Embassy The Hague