Poem Night @ Bayota
Filipino LGBT Europe is excited to launch its poetry writing contest.
In celebration of the month of love, the inaugural edition of the competition centers on the theme: “Migrant Love”.
This is a free contest. No entry fee is required.
Filipino LGBT Europe will award three prizes to the winning poems.
First prize is €75, second prize is €50, and third prize is €25.
The contest is open to Filipinos and those of Filipino descent currently living in Europe. Entrants must be at least eighteen years of age.
Contest entries are judged based on poetic technique, effectiveness, style, and creativity.
Poetry contest rules
1. Entries can be written in any poetic style and in any Philippine language. Poetry written in the language of the poet’s current country of residence are also permitted. These, however, must be accompanied by an English translation.
2. A poem must be an original work by the person entering the contest. Should there be lines or phrases borrowed from other works, these must be properly attributed by the poet and indicated.
3. Only one poem per person is allowed.
4. Poet must be at least eighteen years of age.
5. Entrants must be a Filipino or of Filipino descent.
6. Contest entries must be at least 7 but cannot exceed 60 lines. Any submission that exceeds these limits will be automatically disqualified.
7. Experimental use of language is welcome. However, the use of such must be construed in a way that it can be readily understood by a casual reader.
8. Poems containing language that is vulgar, offensive, or wholly inappropriate will be accepted only if the use of such is merited by the piece.
9. Contestants must submit their piece to firstname.lastname@example.org in either .docx or .pdf format.
10. Only entries submitted on or before 23:59 of 28 February 2022 (Amsterdam Time) will be considered for the competition.
11. Decision of the judges are final.
All submissions to the contest will be published as posts in the social media channels of Filipino LGBT Europe. Each submission will be accompanied by a video recording of the piece submitted.
Filipino LGBT Europe reserves first publication rights to all submissions. Likewise, the organization also reserves the rights to publish the entries as an anthology should it decide so in the future. After such, rights to the poems are returned to the writers.
Deadline of submission
Announcement of winners
The announcement of winners will be accompanied by readings by works of a featured Filipino writer currently living in Europe. Winners will be announced on Wednesday, 9 March 2022.